This is a short 20 minute challenge I preached to the students at DCA today. If you have a few minutes please listen to it. I have also put below here the handout I refer to in the sermon for your benefit.
Disclaimer: I have a cold and I only had a 2 days to prepare for this because I was filling in for another teacher. But I trust it will still be a blessing to whomever hears it.
Sermon handout by Jordan Moody adapted from The Cross Centered Life by C. J. Mahaney
“Unloading Condemnation: How the Cross Removes Guilt and Shame” (Chapter 4)
- Check your bags
- Our bags are the burdens we carry with us
- Condemnation may show itself in grief, guilt, self-denial, regret.
- Without Jesus condemnation is normal and we deserve to be punished for it.
- Low-Grade Guilt
- Are you more aware of your sin than you are of God’s grace, given you through the cross?
- “Don’t buy the lie that cultivating condemnation and wallowing in your shame is somehow pleasing to God, or that a constant, low-grade guilt will somehow promote holiness and spiritual maturity.”
- An Uninvited Guest
- Luke 7:36-50
- Our Many Sins
- Though our sins may be like scarlet they are made white as snow.
- Her guilt is gone. She loves much because she’s been forgiven much.
- Lose your luggage and beat condemnation
- Confess your sin to God.
- Then believe in Him.
- Don’t be paralyzed by condemnation but rather exalt God’s grace over your condemnation.