POPED OR POPELESS
All this Poping hooplah has got me thinking about how people arrive at the conclusion for the need of a Pope in the church. I ‘pope’ to give you some answers in regards to the thinking behind having a Pope and what the Bible says about being ‘popeless.’ (Sorry I couldn’t resist)
POPES FOR DUMMIES
The pope’s jobs
The pope has two big jobs:
- He’s the bishop of Rome, which means he has supreme, full, immediate, and universal jurisdiction all over the world (although the title says “Rome,” the job encompasses the whole Church).
- He’s the head of the entire Catholic Church. As head of the Church, the pope directs the faithful around the world both directly and through mandates to the bishops who oversee the administrative territories known as dioceses. He also elevates bishops to the rank of cardinal as he sees fit.When the pope teaches a doctrine on faith or morals to the universal Church in his unique office as supreme head, he is held to be infallible, incapable of error. When the pope asserts his official authority in matters of faith and morals to the whole church, Catholics believe the Holy Spirit guards him from error. (quoted from Dummies.com)
So basically ONE MAN is infallible, incapable of error, and thus given authority over the entire universal church. Sounds vaguely familiar to me… I want to say his name started with a J and ended with an esus.
What the Bible says about being ‘Popeless’
Listen to this:
Col 1:14 In whom (Jesus, not the Pope) we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
Col 1:15 Who (Jesus, not the Pope) is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
Col 1:16 For by him (Jesus, not the Pope) were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him (Jesus, not the Pope), and for him: (Jesus, not the Pope)
Col 1:17 And he (Jesus, not the Pope) is before all things, and by him (Jesus, not the Pope) all things consist.
Col 1:18 And he (Jesus, not the Pope) is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he (Jesus, not the Pope) might have the preeminence.
od has already told us WE DO NOT NEED A POPE in the Bible. (now there’s a thought?!) Jesus is our pope on high and he is greater than the pope and greater than Moses!
God has already told us WE DO NOT NEED A POPE in the Bible. (now there’s a thought?!) Jesus is our pope on high and he is greater than the pope and greater than Moses!
Heb 3:1 Therefore, holy brothers, you who share in a heavenly calling, consider Jesus, the apostle and high priest of our confession,
Heb 3:2 who was faithful to him who appointed him (not the Cardinals and Bishops), just as Moses also was faithful in all God’s house.
Heb 3:3 For Jesus has been counted worthy of more glory than Moses–as much more glory as the builder of a house has more honor than the house itself.
When we honor the Pope it is like us honoring a house over honoring the house builder. The house doesn’t have any power or authority it was a created thing by a wise and all-knowing creator. God made the Pope just like you and I and so therefore he is just like you and I, in need of a Savior. The God-Man, Jesus Christ, is that Savior. Jesus is my High Priest and He is the reason I can go confidently before the throne of grace in prayer without any need for a Bishop or Pope to tell me I can or cannot. God listens to me because of the intercession done by Jesus Christ, my High Pope.
Heb 4:14 Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession.
Heb 4:15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.
Heb 4:16 Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
Put your trust in someone who truly is “infallible and incapable of error”, Jesus Christ. Stop relying in a false elevation of mankind. The Pope will never do you any good in regards to eternity. The only thing he is good at is deceiving you from seeing the TRUE GOD and His TRUE SAVIOR, the God-Man, Jesus Christ.
- And….We All Have a New Pope! (Catholics Aren’t Crazy) (prodigalpaul.com)
- Praying for Pope Francis (revkatiealexander.com)
- Pope Francis : 10 Facts (indiatimes.com)
- Pope Francis biography, key facts, life in Latin America and background (politico.com)